- How To Start Learning To Play A Guitar
- Choose A Celebrated Movie With Just One Click To See Tonight
- Getting Started With Food Pics
- Hybrid Cars
- Get a Taste of The New Rage In Adventure Sport-Kite Surfing
- How To Obtain An Expedited New US Passport
- Business to Business
- Common Ant Classes
- Blow up Your Sales with Eye Popping Grabbing 3D Modeling
- AdSense and Clickbank Tips To Making Money
- Computers and Electronics
- The New Nokia N97 - How Does It Compare To The N96
- Having Search Engine Optimization Sydney
- Blogging Is Your Ticket To Freedom.
- Dating Matchmaking
- Build A New Relationship Out Of The Ashes With Relationship Breakup Advice
- Meeting New People Can Be Trouble-free With Online Dating
- How To Tell If A Man Really Loves You
- Education and Employment
- Long Island Divorce Law Firm That You Can Rely On
- Get a Degree to Enter a High Paying Field
- Natural Healing College Reviews
- New Birthday Party Games Ideas That Most Kids Love
- 4 Unique New Moon Twilight Party Favors
- The New Face Of Music Games
- Family and Community
- Air Compressor Combo Kits - Tips on Choosing the Right One
- New Mother Stereotypes And How To Avoid Them
- Are Russian Women Good Mothers?
- Health and Personal Care
- The Greatest New Diet: The Acai Berry
- What Are the Different Types Of Skin Cancer?
- Can You Beat Liver Cancer by using Traditional Herbal Remedies and Alternative Medicine?
- Home and Garden
- Cool Ideas for Letters From Santa
- A Model Trains Manual for Those New to The Worlds Greatest Hobby
- How To Plan Your New Kitchen
- Legal and Financial Services
- How To Handle Excessive Debts
- Looking At The Debt Settlement Act
- Award-winning New Credit Card Machine Solution For Businesses Worldwide From PayPal
- Network Marketing Could be the Key to Success in a Sluggish Economy
- Great Ways to Boost Sales
- Understanding Why Dogs Fight With Each Other
- Great Ways to Boost Sales
- Why Dog Nutrition Should Include a Pet Vitamin Supplement
- Real Estate and Rentals
- Benidorm Is The Vacation Capital Of Spain
- What to Expect From Your REALTOR
- The New Loan Modification Plan For America
- Shopping and Specialty Stores
- Hawaiian Tiki Gifts
- Hiring A Personal Shopper: Retail Therapy In New York City
- Bohemian Clothing: New Fashion Style
- Sports and Recreation
- WoW Quest Helpers Revealed
- A Biking Tour in New York
- Seahawks Blitz Broncos To Remain Perfect On The NFL Preseason
- Travel and Transportation
- A Cruise To Nowhere From New York
- Five Nifty Traveler Tips You Will Enjoy
- New Zealand North Island Travel Guide
- Where Can I Buy A Kindle 2 For Holiday Present?
- Bhutan Needs to Be On Your List Of Gay Destinations
- Hypnosis Experience
New Mother Stereotypes And How To Avoid Them
By Jennifer Ransome Published: 09/11/2009
You've seen them. In fact, you may even exhibit some of the same tendencies. The constant gossiping with other mothers, the frumpy clothing, and the latest baby gear are all signs of stereotypical "new mom" behavior. Some experts suggest it's due to an overwhelming need to connect with other mothers who can empathize with them. Others contend the reason is because new moms are busy; parents with new babies have very little extra time (which may explain the frumpy clothes).
The problem is that if new mothers fail to take care of themselves, it can affect their mood and their energy levels. An exhausted and frustrated parent may be unable to provide the care and tenderness a young child needs. Below, we'll describe a few of the most prolific new mother stereotypes so you can see if you're in danger of falling into any of them. We'll also offer a few tips for breaking free.
Are You Typecasting Yourself?
One of the most common roles is that of the Frumpy Mom. Her clothes might escape the laundry a few days too many and her hairdryer may have remained turned off for the past several weeks. There's nothing wrong with a comfortable style, but a fine line separates "comfortable" from frumpy.
The Supermom is another stereotype. Eschewing a slow-paced lifestyle, she works full-time, always has time to spend with her baby, maintains a flawlessly clean house, and rarely has a hair out of place. For the Supermom, slowing down might put more time into her hands than she knows what to do with.
The Gossip can be found with other new moms at parks, picnics, and other functions. If there's something to hide, she'll find it and spread it around. This is one of the easiest stereotypes to fall into. If you whisper into another mom's ear about the poor rearing standards of someone else, you may have just crossed the line.
Breaking Free Of Common Stereotypes
Suppose you've noticed a few traits in your behavior that fit the above descriptions. There are easy ways to break free. First, make a commitment to not gossip with the other mothers. It's a hard habit to break, but once you do, you'll be better for it. Second, apply a little image control. That means keeping your hair appointments and putting on a little foundation and lip gloss when you leave the house. Third, if you're an overachieving mom, get used to letting a couple of things slide every once in awhile. The world will not end.
The common stereotypes that new mothers fall into can dilute the enjoyment of spending time with your baby and others. Once you identify the problematic traits, you can take steps to break free and truly enjoy the delights of motherhood.